Monday, July 10, 2017

ToySECT - Action Figure and Toy Review - 014 Superman - DC Comics Multiverse 3 3/4"


This week we are going to change things up a bit by not only focusing on a smaller scale of the 3 3/4" realm, but also the nostalgia of old favorites in new forms. Today's entry is one I've always wanted as a child, but did't get until a fews years ago. The DC Multiverse Superman from "Superman The Movie" finally showcases Christopher Reeve as the Man of Steel in plastic form. "Superman The Movie" and "Superman II" are still some of my favorite comic book movies, even with today's modern offerings from DC and Marvel. I can still remember going to the theater with my parents to these two blockbusters when they were shown on the big screen. After the release of Star Wars in 1977, movie studios scrambled to get their own blockbusters out to the special effects starved audiences who were craving for more. Besides films like Superman and Star Wars, movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark, ET, Tron, Clash of the Titans, Ghostbusters and others made it something special to go to the theater to experience them on the big screen. This was a time when cable TV or VCRs weren't available for everyone to just view their favorite movie at home. Getting the toys was the closest thing to experiencing the excitement without a trip to the local cinema. It only took them decades to get this figure into my collection, but was it worth the wait? 




Woohoos!


When I was about 6 years old, the first place I could go and look at comics was the local drug store around the corner from my grandparent's house. While my grandma was doing her shopping, I would browse the wire metal display with wonder. I remember the pharmacist coming up to me one day and saying "I remember when your father was your age and would look at the comics in this very spot". Right then and there I knew comic books were for me. If my dad was into it, so was I. Superman was his favorite. The story of Superman had a lot to do with the father/son motif, and that's why the character has always been very special to me. Sure it was cool that he could fly and punch planets and stuff, but it was the fact that he always tried to be the good man that his father was is where the heart of it lies. As a toy, this figure has a good sculpt that resembles Christopher Reeve, has the coloring down perfect, and a great bid S on his cape. It brings back many memories of what it was like to be a kid in the era I grew up in and what those toys of our youth really meant to us. 



D'ohs!


So what's wrong with Supes' here? This may be the only time I ever say this, but I think the toy has too much articulation. Without swivel biceps or ankle joints, I thinks the extra hip joints and swivel thighs are just unnecessary for it's enjoyment. They could've just left them out and the figure would've looked just as good, if not better. Give me the ankle joints and more pivot for the head for better flying poses, but for something that's just going to sit on my shelf and make me smile every time I look at it, the simpler toy would have been just fine. 
 What if...


How about a 6" version? With loads of accessories (kryptonite, different hands, that green crystal thing, and a big cellophane S) Get the likeness right and you'd have a winner.  













Finish Him! 


So I'm super pleased to have this in my collection. He's not very cheap to get as of this writing, but if you're a fan of the original movies and if you like nostalgia too, I think you'd really enjoy him. 5 out of 5 leaps over tall buildings for our hero. Now how about a Ms. Tessmacher!




No comments:

Post a Comment