Thursday, June 15, 2017

ToySECT - Action Figure and Toy Review - 002 Mary Jane Watson - Marvel Legends

Hello and welcome to ToySECT! Next up is the new Marvel Legends Mary Jane Watson action figure that's available in the new Toys R Us 2 pack. 

So what do we have here? (Lando review coming soon) MJ comes from the new Toys R Us 2 pack that may or may not be available at a store near you. The new glowing eyes Spider-Man with Peter Parker head is her pack mate. I'd have to say this may be the best version of Ms. Watson I've ever seen in action figure form. Like Jessica Rabbit or Daphne from Scooby Doo, Mary Jane was one of my childhood cartoon crushes. (Hey, I have a thing for redheads) I haven't been following the story lines in the comics as of late, but I hear Petey and MJ are splitsville. I remember getting their wedding issue of ASM when I was a kid, also my very first variant cover. I guess nothing lasts forever.




Woohoo!


Mary Jane has a lot going for her in this release. She has all the articulation you'd expect from a Marvel Legends figure, with a good range of movement in most of her joints. Her face is detailed very well (at least on my sample) with her green eyes and freckles. I also like how her hair gets darker as it gets closer to her shoulders. The painting of the denim looks great, as does the sculpted wrinkles on her jeans. She does come with her purse, as a woman with her style and fashion sense would. (Hey, I carry a manbag, just like indiana Jones) Fans of the former Mrs. Parker who have been waiting for a decent likeness of her have been rewarded.











D'ohs!


There's really not a whole lot to say about her downsides here. Her hair sculpt does hinder some head movement, and she only comes with the one set of hands. Since these types of two pack releases don't come with any sort of build-a-figure parts, it would be nice to see some added accessories. Open and closed hands would be nice, or maybe even her dog. A Spidey heart on her shirt would've been cool, like on her 3 3/4" counterpart. She may be hard to get, I don't think these sets sit on the shelf for too long.




What If...

Hasbro has given us many great releases in Marvel Legends in the last few years. What I would like to see is some more civilian type characters like Peter Parker (classic nerd and modern), Gwen Stacy, J Jonah Jameson, Aunt May, or even a RDJ Tony Stark in street clothes. In addition to those familiar faces, how about some generic ones as well? A Police officer, Fireman, a masked robber or thug even. These types of figures would look great in our dioramas or just hanging out on our shelves.



Finish Her!

I am really impressed with this figure. I think Hasbro got it right with MJ and the exclusive 2 pack with 'ol Webhead was probably the best way to release her. I'm very thankful for finding these guys when I did. (Thanks Brian and John!!!) If you see them in the wild I would recommend snagging 'em while you can. These types of exclusives don't seem to hang around at TRUs for very long. I'm giving MJ 5 out of 5 Spidey hearts. She's pretty classy like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment