Friday, June 16, 2017

ToySECT - Action Figure and Toy Review - 004 Wonder Woman - DC Universe

Hello and welcome back to ToySECT! The Wonder Woman DC Comics Multiverse 6" action figure is next on our list. 







This one is for my best friend Robyn. When she saw this newest DC movie she said she now knows how I feel after seeing Star Wars for the first time. I was like, three years old, and all I wanted was a real lightsaber (and a wookie best friend, a robot, a spaceship, oh, and Carrie Fisher) I was very impressed with the Wonder Woman movie myself. So much so that after seeing it I wanted to go out and find an action figure of Gal Gadot in all her miniature plastic glory. See, I'm old school in the sense that if I really liked the film, I want the toy(s) to go with it. (I'm looking at you Hasbro. Stupid no Hugh Jackman-Patrick Stewart-Daphne Keen action figure 3 pack for Logan that would have sold like mad) Anyways, I stumbled on the main version of our hero at a Toys R Us. She was the last one on the pegs as part of the movie line of 6" figures. The funny thing is that the same wave at Target did not include her in the assortment or in the listing on the back of the packaging. Weird, as you would think Mattel would want as many of these out there for purchase as possible. But what do I know, I'm just a grown up who never stopped going to the action figure isle of every store I've ever been in.


Woohoo!



Well it's pretty obvious that Warner Bros. didn't expect WW to be as big of a hit as it's turning out to be. The last DC movie I liked this much was Superman II with Christopher Reeves. Other than that, the Michael Keaton Batman's are decent, as are the first two Christian Bale ones, but they did't hit the mark like the first two Superman movies did for me. This new movie gets the WB back on track to great superhero films on the big screen. I guess I should start talking about the figure at hand. The sculpt is good with most of the articulation I want in a 6" action figure. It looks like Gal Gadot and that makes me happy. She comes with her shield, sword, and (non removable) lasso, as well as a shield for the Aries build-a-figure. The paint apps are well done and as a souvenir of a great film it scratches my itch. 






D'ohs!


While this is a decent toy I will admit there are a few disappointments. She does have all the points of articulation that I expect in this scale, but the range of movement on some of them are not as wide as I would've liked. Her wrists swivel, but do not bend. This would be crucial for some sword wielding poses. The ankles do not have the "rocker" style joints which allow for a wider stance. Also, her elbows won't bend to a 90 degree angle. so a signature pose of crossed forearms cannot be achieved. And, as with most characters with long hair, her head movement is limited. Her neck could be thinner as well. D'oh! indeed.









What If...

Wonder Woman has started something here. If DC and Warner up their game on this cinematic universe we're in for a treat. (Not my wallet, though) I would hope Mattel follows suit and puts just a little more into their offerings. Improve on some of the articulation issues and the fight with Marvel Legends is on. Would a playset or vehicle offering kill someone also? 



Finish Her!

I'm satisfied I was able to get her almost right after seeing the film. She (mostly) fits in with my other 6" figures and displays well enough. Maybe down the road I'll find a Batman and Superman that will win me over to keep her company. 3.5 lassos of truth out of 5 for this release. I have a feeling with the Justice League movie or even Wonder Woman 2 we'll see some of the improvements I'm hoping for implemented in the next version. 

No comments:

Post a Comment