Friday, June 23, 2017

ToySECT - Action Figure and Toy Review - 006 Spider-Man: Homecoming Tech Suit - Marvel Legends

Oh! Hello! I didn't see you there. Welcome to ToySECT! Here we have the new Marvel Legends Spider-Man: Homecoming Tech Suit action figure based on his appearance in Spider-Man: Homecoming.





Finally! I've been looking for this figure for what seems like months now. (Ok, maybe weeks) You would have thought that the Civil War 3 pack with Cap and IM would have been all that I needed to fill my needs for a MCU version of our favorite webhead, but this release is just different enough (to coin a phrase from one of my favorite toy bloggers) to make you mad. I always loved it when Spidey was drawn with his "web wings", and this guy finally has 'em. The last time we got any sort of version of this was with Toy Biz's first appearance Spider-Man with mesh webbing that attached to his neck, wrists, and waist with string. That one also had small eyes. 




Woohoo!




What's great here? We get an alternate masked head with different eyes, plus two sets of hands - one set of fists and another set of web shooting. Oh, and the web wings too! He has some great articulation going here. All the points you'd expect, including the extra shoulder movement you see on about every other release of our favorite web swinger. His silhouette is very realistic, and his costume is very detailed. The web outlines on his outfit are sculpted in, not just printed on. He's got some personality just standing there, but some fun poses are to be had with this one as well. Like Wonder Woman that was just reviewed, (ToySECT 004) I have a feeling fans are going to want a souvenir of the wall crawler once the film is out in theaters in a few weeks. At 2 per case, he should be relatively easy to find once the wave starts hitting.








D'ohs!


As much as I like this guy, he's not perfect. The web wings pictured on the back of the packaging are different that what we get in the box. The model shows webbing that extends down to his wrists and are attached by a web shooter cuff. This may have hindered articulation, but I bet they would stay on a hell of a lot better. The ones you get are smaller and only attach by a peg that inserts under his biceps. They don't really stay in their slots very well, and I can see these being lost very easily. The paint apps on my sample aren't the greatest I've seen on Marvel Legends, but it's pretty minor. His left elbow was a little stiff, but eventually started to bend. Still no wall crawling hands.







What If...

So if we want an unmasked portrait of Tom Holland we have to plop down the cash for the 2 pack with Iron Man. (Another repaint) I haven't decided yet if it's worth the extra dough for repaints of two figures I already own. At least give us a masked version with a wide and squinty eyes. Oh, and webbing. We need webbing.













Finish Him!

Now that I've added the latest Spider-Man to my collection, I'm all caught up for the foreseeable future. I'll see what the 2 pack is like once it shows up on the web (Ha! Get it? Ok, I'll shut up) or in stores but I'm guessing the $39.99 price tag (assuming it's the same as other 2 packs) will make it a little more difficult to pull the trigger just to add a Tom Holland head to my collection. I'm not sure what the rest of the year has in store for Hasbro's Marvel Legends line, but let's hope that some classic Spidey villains like Dr. Octopus, the Lizard, or Mysterio are in the pipeline. He's a fun toy, but I wish the web wing gimmick was a little more stable and that just a few more accessories would have made it into the box. 3 out of 5 Spider Signals for this guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment