Thursday, June 29, 2017

ToySECT - Action Figure and Toy Review - 009 Shocker - Marvel Legends

Today's ToySECT review is Hasbro's 6" Marvel Legends Shocker. He was released earlier this year in the Sandman Build-a-figure wave that featured other figures such as Black Suit Spider-Man, Green Goblin, and Jackal that may or may not still be in a store near you. Usually Shocker is a minor villain who gets his ass handed to him early on in the comic/show/video game that he's featured in. Rumor has it he will make an appearance in the new Spider-Man: Homecoming movie that will be out next week, probably still getting defeated early on in the film. Today is his lucky day, as this feature is all about him.



WooHoos!


What's so cool about Shocker here? He has the standard articulation you've come to expect from the Marvel Legends line, plus swivel calves. His "netting" paint apps are done really well. The two "shockwave" accessories are a nice bonus, even if they are recycled "magic thingys" from other figures. It's a decent figure, he's just a little hard to hype up. "Why did you buy him?" you may ask. Three reasons: 1- I needed a new villain for Spidey to fight. 2- I liked his eyes, one wide open, one squinty. 3- He was cheap! Target had this wave on sale for $12.49, and I wasn't planning on getting him, but who could blame me for that price. Remember when Spider-Man Classics came out from Toy Biz? Back then we thought $9.99 was insane for an action figure, but look at what we pay now.






D'ohs!


Shockey here doesn't really have anything wrong with him, he's just kind of there. I would have preferred other bad guys before him, like the Lizard, Mysterio, Dr. Octopus, or even Rocket Racer. (We haven't had a skateboard accessory in the line since the Wal-Mart Amazing Spider-Man 6" with Andrew Garfield head and backpack)   









What if...


I'm not the biggest fan of action features, but what if Shocker had some sort of wind up gimmick that made him, well, shock? Even an oversized backpack attachment (which I usually hate, Star Wars 5poa line) with a vibrating feature would have been ok, I guess. 











Finish Him!


As a toy, he's great for some background amusement. An articulated accessory for my Spider-Man to challenge on my desk. I always enjoyed the character as a minor villain, but if he wasn't on sale I can't say I would've dropped $20 on him. If you're a fan of classic Spider-Man foes and you have the cash, why not get him? (Or you just want to complete Sandman) 2.5 volts out of 5 for Mr. Vibrator here.






No comments:

Post a Comment