Tuesday, June 27, 2017

ToySECT - Action Figure and Toy Review - 007 Lando Calrissian The Black Series 6"

Would you join us for a little refreshment? Welcome again to ToySECT! Here we have the new Lando Calrissian Star Wars Black Series 6" action figure based on his appearance in The Empire Strikes Back.







"So, what do we have here" indeed! This entry in the Black Series 6" line is one of the newest offerings of our favorite swindler, and his first in this scale. Packed with a rebel blaster, cape, and a communication device, he's got a few surprises "up his sleeve" as well. Rumor has it he is being offered in solid case packs to ensure availability, but will you find him at a store near you? I found mine through ebay and paid just a little more than retail, but with gas prices today I believe it was worth it. The last time we were offered Lando in this outfit was the 3 3/4" 2004 Vintage Collection figure on a vintage style Empire Strikes Back card. As that scale seriously needs an updated version with better articulation, I think Hasbro did a pretty good job with our former owner of the Falcon here.





Woohoo!


When I received my eagerly awaited package from ebay and tore into the box, what I saw immediately brought me back to 1980 when I first found the original Kenner figure at my local Kroger grocery store. His sculpt is fantastic and it feels like they shrank Billy Dee Williams down to a pocket size drinking buddy. His cape hangs like it does in most of the movie, so he looks good just standing there. You also can get a few action poses with it on as well. He has all the articulation you'd expect from this line, so most of the poses you see on film are attainable. The real surprise here is his wrist do-hickey thing that he uses in the movie to wake Lobot up. I believe this is the first time we have gotten this detail in any of the Kenner/Hasbro offerings. Way to go team!





D'ohs!



And what's not to like? Well, just a few complaints. His mid torso joint is kind of an eyesore, and doesn't get the widest range of movement. (Like some of the other joints) It's a little challenging to get him the tap his wrist com exactly like he does in the movie. I don't know what they were thinking when they sculpted his, er, crotch, but it looks like a diaper. Hasbro has still to release some of the major players from ESB, so his interaction with other Black Series figures is limited to Darth Vader, Boba Fett, and some Stormtroopers. (If you're lucky and have the SDCC Fett with Han in Carbonite you got that scene too) Here's hoping for a Bespin Han and Leia in the pipeline to be released sooner rather than later. 






What If...

So I can't really think of what else they could have given this suave scoundrel here. A second portrait with his famous grin would have been cool. (I remember the Kenner version had a great smile) Maybe a Stormtrooper blaster, but you probably have a couple laying around anyway. 













Finish Him!



Besides a few sculpting issues, I think Hasbro did a pretty great job on their first 6" Lando. He looks good, and I'll assume he'll play well with others (once we get them). He took me back to my childhood and isn't that really why we are all here? Few modern toys have given me that sense of nostalgia and wonder, and this one did it remarkably. 4 out of 5 Colt 45s for Lando.


No comments:

Post a Comment